Tuesday 22 May 2012

Herman the German Friendship Cake

I baked my first ever cake!

This was courtesy of a friend from work who gave me a sample of some mixture as part of a friendship cake.  This works similar to chain letters, except with ingredients and not the threat of  somthing bad happening to you if you dont fulfill the task!
  You can read all about it here.

So armed with my own instructions I began a 10 day ritual of following the rules and started with this mixture -


It doesn't look alot but once it is stirred everyday, the mixture rises and bubbles, and then covered with a loose tea towel.  By the fourth day, I had to add a cup each of milk, flour and sugar and then carry on stirring everyday until the ninth day where I had to repeat day four.  I then had to split the mixture into four so that I could pass it on to three other friends and keep the fourth for myself.


On day ten, it was time to start making the cake!  I had to add cooking apples, flour, baking powder, vanilla essence, cooking oil, and sugar to a baking tin.  I was also supposed to add raisins, which I chose not to use, and cinnamon, which I could not find in the supermarket! This mixture was stirred and I was a little apprehensive as I was not sure if I was doing it right!
Once in the oven for 45 minutes I could relax because it appeared to be rising and cooking nicely!

The first picture on this post is the finished result and I was very chuffed with myself for completing the challenge successfully!  As for the taste of it, it was very sweet, just how I like it.  It appeared dry but the apples made it moist but still tempting to add some ice cream!


YUM!!!

xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment